XSLFO – 1 Day
This XSLFO training course introduces the eXtensible Stylesheet Language, or XSL — also known as XSL with Formatting Objects or XSLFO, to distinguish it clearly from XSLT. XSLFO provides the ultimate, standards-based solution to producing print and other presentation documents from XML information. This course teaches XSL with a focus on producing PDFs, using Apache FOP as the formatting engine. Though XSL is quite a dense technology, this one-day course provides a solid grounding in the basic techniques, and students will leave the course ready to tackle simple to moderately complex formatting tasks.
What You Will Learn
- Describe the relationship between XSLT and XSLFO, and their roles in the typical XML-to-print production process.
- Understand the formatting objects model, including the concepts of page, area, block, and line.
- Build page masters and master sets to define common page layouts and area models.
- Build page sequences to produce body, header and footer content.
- Format content using blocks, inlines, lists and tables.
- Take explicit control of document pagination.
- Apply properties to formatting objects and use XSLFO’s property-inheritance model effectively.
- Build tables of contents and embed hyperlinks into documents.
Students must be fluent in XML and comfortable with XSLT, as the exercises involve a good deal of hand-writing the transformations that produce the XSL formatting documents. XSLT is excellent preparation
Chapter 1. Getting Started
- Formatting XML
- XSLT and XSLFO
- Flow of Information
- Formatting Objects
Chapter 2. Page Masters
- Pages and Areas
- The Page-Master Model
- Writing Mode and Orientation
- The Page-Sequence Model
- Page-Sequence Masters
- Properties and the Inheritance Model
Chapter 3. Formatting
- Blocks and Layout Options
- Inlines and Layout Options
- Controlling Pagination
Chapter 4. Formatting
- Page Numbering
- Identifying Content
- Page-Number Citations
- Tables of Contents
Appendix A. Learning Resources
|Hardware Requirements (Minimum)||500 MHz, 256 meg RAM, 50 meg disk space.|
|Hardware Requirements (Recommended)||1.5 GHz, 512 meg RAM, 50 meg disk space.|
|Operating System||Tested on Windows XP Professional. The course software should be viable on all Windows or Linux systems which support a J2SE 1.4 SDK (if using FOP) or another compliant XSLFO processor.|
|Network and Security||Limited privileges required|
|Software Requirements||All free downloadable tools.|
Other Courses to Explore
Don’t forget to check out our monthly specials to save – Monthly Specials